This Easy One Pot Roasted Chicken Dinner recipe is SO easy to make, and it’s the perfect family meal with all the fixings and gravy, made in only one pan!
– Prep Time: 30 minutes
– Cook Time: 30 minutes
– Resting time: 10 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 large bone-in skin-on chicken thighs or chicken drumsticks
a pinch or two of salt and pepper (for seasoning the chicken)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or dried thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or dried rosemary
a pinch or two of salt and pepper
2/3 cup good quality white wine
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
8 small russet or white potatoes (or 6 medium), washed and each chopped into 4-8 pieces
6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
fresh thyme and rosemary for garnish, if desired
– Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius
– Heat a very large oven-safe pan over medium-high heat on the stove top and add the olive oil.
– Brown the chicken pieces in the pan on all sides, until the outside has reached a nice golden brown.
– Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and set them aside on a plate.
– Add the potatoes and carrots to the pan with the chicken liquid and allow the vegetables to brown slightly in the liquid on all sides for about 5-7 minutes.
– Remove the vegetables to a plate and set aside once they’ve caramelized slightly.
– Turn the heat to medium. Add the flour to the liquid left in the pan and whisk until the flour is absorbed.
– Whisk in the thyme, rosemary and salt and pepper and continue to toast the flour for about one more minute, whisking constantly.
– Slowly add the wine and whisk as you add it to prevent lumps.
– Add the chicken stock slowly, whisking as you add it to break up any lumps that form.
– Let the sauce bubble away, whisking gently as it cooks for about 4 minutes.
– Add the potatoes and carrots back into the pan, nestling them into the sauce until they’re submerged.
– Add the chicken pieces into the sauce as well, nestling them into the sauce and vegetables.
– Cover the pan with the lid and roast for about 35-40 minutes at 160 degrees Celsius or until the chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 74 degrees Celsius and the potatoes are tender.
– Remove the pan from the oven when the chicken is cooked through and allow it to rest, covered, for about 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe and images by: TheBusyBaker.ca