1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 c. canned pineapple juice
1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeño, minced (seeded if desired)
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 c. pineapple chunks
1/4 c. cashews
Thinly sliced scallions, for serving
Cooked white rice, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and cook until just tender, 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make sauce: in a small saucepan, combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, garlic, and jalapeño and bring to a simmer.
- Make a slurry: In a small bowl whisk together 2 teaspoons water and cornstarch until smooth, then whisk into saucepan. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and let simmer 3 minutes. Stir in pineapple and cashews.
- Garnish with scallions and serve with rice and lime.