Total: 45 min
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
40 cloves garlic (about 3 heads), peeled and trimmed (Use your own discretion if you are not a huge garlic lover).
Vegetable oil, for cooking
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 skinless breast fillets cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup heavy cream
250g dried fettuccine pasta
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
2. Thinly slice 5 garlic cloves. Heat about 5cm vegetable oil in a small pan over medium heat, then add 1 slice of garlic. Cook until the garlic is at a lively sizzle, then sprinkle in the rest of the garlic. Cook, stirring, until the garlic is just golden and crisp (don’t overcook or it will be bitter), about 1 minute. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and whole garlic cloves and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until both the chicken and garlic are golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the wine and adjust the heat so the sauce is simmering, then cover and cook until the chicken and garlic are tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Uncover and adjust the heat so the sauce reduces and is syrupy, about 1 minute. Add the cream and simmer until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes; reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
5. Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente according to the package directions. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Add the pasta to the simmering sauce and toss to coat, adding a little pasta water if it seems dry. Remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the Parmesan and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve in pasta bowls topped with the garlic chips.