Original Article: http://www.paarman.co.za/recipe/slow-roast-curried-chicken
A lovely family style recipe that looks after itself in a slow oven. Serve with a green salad or sambals and some coriander rice. This recipe is ideal for a free range chicken which is always tougher than a battery chicken.
You will need:
- 1 onion, cut into half rings
- ½ smallish butternut, unpeeled and cut into 2 cm blocks
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and sliced into 1 cm strips
- Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Spice
- 1 fresh chicken
- Ina Paarman’s Chicken Spice
- 1 lemon
- 1 x 200ml Ina Paarman’s Butter Chicken Coat & Cook Sauce
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) hot water
- Adjust the oven rack to one shelf below the middle and preheat to 150°C. Toss the vegetables together in a roasting dish or large casserole dish with a lid. Season with Vegetable Spice.
- Season the bird all over with Chicken Spice. Cut the lemon in half and insert into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the bed of vegetables breast down (this is important to protect the breast meat from direct heat). Pour the Butter Chicken Sauce over the bird.
- Dissolve the Chicken Stock in hot water and pour into the dish on the side, so as not to wash the sauce off the bird.
- Cover with a lid.
- Bake for 2 – 2½ hours until very tender.
Any leftover chicken is excellent on a sandwich the next day.